Friday, September 23, 2011

Red State Screening and a Q and A with Kevin Smith at the New Beverly


Sunday evening promises to be a very entertaining one. Kevin Smith is screening his new movie Red State at the New Beverly Cinema in Los Angeles. Followed up by a Q and A with Smith himself. I for one am super excited. Kevin Smith is one of my biggest inspirations in terms of me wanting to emulate his career. Expect me to be front and center for this one, as long as tickets don't sell out, I plan on buying mine tomorrow. I plan to review this event as well so expect a Monday Blog or possible late Sunday Night one on it. For those unfamiliar with Kevin Smith, he is the director and creator of the View Askew Universe. Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Clerks II. He has also directed Jersey Girl, Zack and Miri and now Red State. Cop Out was also a movie he directed but did not write... just thought I would mention that but not really embrace it as that movie is considered the worst one he has directed. Anyways back to topic.



Kevin Smith is shying away from the Comedy genre for a bit and moving into the Horror side of things with his new film Red State. The movie stems from the idea of a twisted pastor who feels he is doing the will of god by killing and doing away with sinners and abominations to the bible. Smith said it is inspired by real life pastor Fred Phelps, the pastor in the movie is not suppose to be Fred Phelps but rather is inspired by him and his beliefs simply taken to the full extreme. The movie stars Michael Parks, John Goodman, Melissa Leo, and Stephen Root.


The film was not set for wide release and instead is being independently distributed by Smith himself through the Video on Demand feature. This September 25th Screening is a one time deal, but the movie is available now via PC, Xbox, PS3, Comcast, Direct-TV, itunes, basically anything with a Video on Demand feature. Its gotten mixed reviews by the critics but I'm going in with no expectations and I'm sure that the outcome will be a pleasant one, besides its a Q and A session after words so my night wont be a total bust if the movie isn't good. I have faith in Smith though and I know I will end up liking this film. With that said, I am going to post a couple posters up to sort of build up hype. If this sounds like something you would be down to do then  Click Here and get your ticket information.




No comments:

Post a Comment