Thursday, September 22, 2011

Avatar gets a theme park at Disney's Animal Kingdom... why?


James Cameron movie Avatar has been green lighted for its own theme park or rather attraction, at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park in Florida. The planet of Pandora will grace its presence with 3D holographic technology and audio animatronics.  Production on the park is expected to begin in 2013 and the whole expansion is suppose to take place over a course of 5 years. The projected funding is around $400 million dollars. James Cameron has gone on the record to say...

"Our goal is to go beyond current boundaries of technical innovation and experimental storytelling, give park goers the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Avatar with an unprecedented sense of reality."

I'm not sure of this move by Disney. I don't understand why they would pick Avatar of all movies. Surely there are way better sci-fi films that could of gotten this type of treatment. Disney already owns Tron, why not make a Grid themed park? ElecTronica is a hit at California Adventure and its half-assed for that matter. Imagine its own land, one that actually has light up buildings and not light up cardboard cut outs that would be mind blowing. A Lightcycle ride could be the E-ticket attraction, I'm just saying...

To be honest I was never really on the Avatar band wagon, so maybe Im not seeing the big picture here. Question is do I want to? Sure Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, but I wouldn't call it the best movie though. Actually aside from the stunning visuals the plot of this movie is medicore. It's been quoted as dances with wolves meets the smurfs. After hearing that remark I couldn't take the film seriously anymore because when you think about it, that comment is totally feasible. I guess Disney is trying to capitalize on the success of the Harry Potter Wizard World. They figure people wanna be submersed in the universes of the movies they love, which totally makes sense but I don't feel Avatar is that movie. Like I said I just don't see the big picture here, or care to understand it. If Avatar is your film then kudos to you because soon you will be able to set foot on the planet you love, but if your like me your just scratching your head at why this film is getting its own theme park and why Disney can't do this with the already huge line of films it already has. I say a Tron universe park would be something to see or how about they incorporate that Marvel buy out into the theme parks, now that would be something to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment